Here’s an interesting video from Harvard Business Review by Professor Amy Gallo http://www.amyegallo.com/. Professor Amy Gallo is renowned speaker and an author of a number of books including the upcoming, “Getting Along – How to work with anyone, including difficult people”.
Here are some of the concepts, key take aways’ from the video –
If When & Where to Disagree –
- Weight the consequences of disagreeing v/s keeping silent
- Wait until you are able to present your best possible case
- Choose the right time and place to have the conversation
What to say :
- Restate the original idea
- Explain that you have a different opinion
- Ask permission to share it
- Find a common ground which allows you to share your ideas
How to say it:
- Stay calm – breathe deeply and speak slowly
- Stay humble and curios
- Stay neutral and avoid judgy adjectives
- Be respectful and firm
Thanks to Harvard Business Review and Prof. Amy Gallo for putting together a short but powerful piece on having difficult conversations with someone more powerful that you in the organization.
Check out more Harvard Business Review videos and presentations at – https://www.youtube.com/hbspublishing
Drop us a note at trevor at hack2 dot live if you have any questions or would like to chat.